The logic of how vertices and edges are drawn in Network visual is rather simple. A new node and link is created only for unique entries from the selected data . Any additional entries that have the same Department and/or Title will only affect the radiuses of the specific node in the chart.
In this example you can see that 2 columns (Departments and Title) have been dragged into the Nodes field and 1 column (Payouts) , which is value based , has been dragged into Measures field.
So , what the chart does is creates nodes and connections for all unique entries in both of the columns and increases their radius based on the values for connecting entries. This is why you only see one node for "VP of Product Management" not 2 . However, since there are 2 different departments that have payouts for this title , connections to both departments are made and corresponding values have been added to both of them.
Additional tools inside chart (lower left corner):
- Zoom slider allows to manually zoom in or out
- Fit-to-screen mode automatically zooms to the most suitable
- Rearrange nodes button repositions the nodes to best emphasize the network structure
- Freeze nodes button disables the automatic repositioning and allows manual fine tuning of positions for export
- Move back button allows you to undo the last action you did with the chart
- Legends are created based on the category name. You can hide or show them by clicking on them, this will also affect the nodes for that category